If the eyes are the windows to the soul

If the eyes are the windows to the soul
WHAT THEN ARE THE EARS?

Sunday, 21 February 2010

Names that start with the letter D

Delilah
                                                                                                                              Deborah
                                                                                                        Doris
                                                          Dorrit
Daphney
                                                                               Dorothy
                                                                                                                                      Dorcas
Davina
                                           Donna

It's a sad but true fact that we have no say at all when it comes the monikers we get stuck with at birth. If we're lucky it's something simple and reasonably pretty. If we're not so lucky it's dull and un-pronounce-able-properly by the majority of the population.

If you have kind parents, they avoid giving you names they wouldn't like to have had to learn how to spell when they were youngsters .(Seriously , any name over nine letters is taking things  a little tooooooo far don't you think?!) Sometimes its not their fault though. I mean, imagine th eplight of a copuple who have already named three infants successfully and then suddenly , along comes infant number four. What's a couple to do? Having expended all their  name-related creativity with names like Alexandre, Deidre , Fionella, for the first three, they may have to resort to looking for names that rhyme with their Last name, flipping through the phone book or  looking to the Bible for inspiration. And that , Dear Ones, is how people get stuck with names like Nebuchanezzer ( Don't blame me, even He can't spell his name right).


It's all well and good to suggest legally changing your name when you become an adult but the damage has already been done. Don't think  for a minute that people who knew you as Edwina - Davina for twenty-two years are suddenly going to go with the flow and call you Eva or Sasha all of a sudden, no matter how many times you tell them.  Plus there is the downside of letting your parents know that you think their judgement sucks- never a smart thing to do. God forbid you were named after a favorite aunt or something.

For moi, I just find myself not liking names that start with the letter D. Maybe its because people with a strong accent always seem to murder the names. Or maybe it's because I happen to have a D-name and I don't really like it. It's always funny when you tell people that you don't like the name your initial stands for cos they immmediately bug you to tell them. PuLeeeeZe don't. They will definately call you by it till their dying days - trust me, I should know. I've fallen for it more than once. Although truth be told , it isn't that bad a name, and I was named after My Nan so ...........


Anyway , enough about me. Hey there Delilah is a nice one that has helped me to start to deal with the D-name thingy. I mean it. The song actually makes Delilah a cool name for me , and the melody isn't half bad either. Catch up with the Plain White Tee's and their new music at http://www.myspace.com/plainwhitets .
And no, I ain't a Delilah, or a Debra, or Dorrit  for that matter if that's what your are thinking. If you are though, and you're cool with your name, then good for you. if youre not, endure Dearie, endure.

1 comment:

  1. well, my name starts with the letter c and i can't see what one alphabetical place diffrence affects a name. What's in a Name? A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet. you are who you are .

    ReplyDelete